Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Thrifty Mrs.

Thrift : noun : the quality of using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully.

Thriftyadjective : using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully.


I grew up in Whitefish, Montana; a wealthy resort town. 

My family was not wealthy.
I grew up wearing hand-me-downs and items from 2nd-hand stores. 
It was embarrassing & shameful to admit at the time.
Not that my wardrobe looked any different than anyone else's. 
I actually had some really great clothes that were purchased at a fraction of what the other parents were spending. 
It was just the stigma of it not being purchased brand new that I got made fun of for.

Jump ahead to my 20's & all the "cool kids" shop frugally. 

What the what?! 

Dumpster diving. Facebook sites. Thrift stores. Craigslist. Garage/Yard sales. Vintage.

When I go thrifting I ask myself a thousand questions, but I ask these two most often //
1) Who donated this item?
2) Why did they donate this?

Thrifting is so fun/funny to me. 
A bunch of inexpensive stuff others don't want that I find incredibly perfect for my family! 
Personally, I've always loved the thrill of the find. 

A $136 Free People dress that looks like it was worn once for $4.75//SCORE!
A 50¢ wood durian that I painted white//SCORE! 
Finding things for my two little gals that we could otherwise never afford//SCORE!
*Even better SCORE is that I typically only shop 50% off colors/days at thrift stores!*

As we look into decorating our new home I seriously can't justify spending full price for anything!
It's definitely fun to keep up with the all the latest trends. 
However; it's definitely not in our budget!

I am extremely excited to show all our before & afters. 
I am beyond excited to decorate & bring our home to life in our own joyful way! 

Now we all just wait until we move and I can start the process of making our house home, one thrifted piece at a time! ;)

The flowers came in a bundle of about 10 and I got them all for 50cents.
The giraffe was 50cents and I spray painted it white.

Our front porch fall decor.
Every decor item was thrifted!

No comments:

Post a Comment