Thursday, September 22, 2016

Copycats

Oh friends,
         I have a confession.

This past week I overheard Penelope, age 3, pretending to be a momma.
There was a lot of negativity & yelling. 
Then as she was pretending to get Lilly ready for bed she got really sweet -- cuddly, happy tone of voice, singing songs, kisses, prayers. 


What did I learn from this? 
I appear happiest when it's time for my girls to go to sleep 
and they're mirroring my ugly! 


How does that make me feel?
Like a completely awful mom!

I have a hard time giving myself grace because once I mess up I feel like I've scarred them for life. 

I have a lot of emotional damage from my childhood.
I grew up wanting kids because ::
I was going to parent so much better.
I was going to be the best.
Then after a few years of marriage I realized how much work goes into a healthy relationship & quickly didn't want children anymore ::
I didn't want to fail.
I didn't want to let them down.

Zach & I had a fight one day.
I said, "I don't ever want kids."
Two weeks later I found out I was pregnant.
I prayed & prayed that it was a boy.
Boys seem to forgive easier - they don't seem to hold grudges as long.
A girl seemed impossible.
Penelope Joy was born.
A short 9 months later I was pregnant again.
"Please God, I am BEGGING you...I cannot ruin two girls lives!"
Lillian August was born.

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord. 
"Plans to prosper you & not to harm you. 
Plans for a hope & future." 
Jeremiah 29:11

I realize God knew what He was doing when he blessed me with my two little loves.


Being a stay-at-home mom is my full-time job. 
This past week I failed miserably. 
Had I been at a "real" job they would have fired me.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything you do. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Serve them sincerely because of your reverent fear of the Lord. Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you are working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, 
and that the Master you are serving is Christ.
Colossians 3:22-24



So, what's the solution?! 
I need to be the mother I hope they become one day.

I need to continue to work on me! 
Constantly. 
Constantly cleansing my heart. 
Constantly being intentional with my time & genuine joy of getting to mother my littles. 

So dear friends I'll leave you with this ::

Let's find the power in optimism! 
Let's be the best we can be! 
Let's fight our negative urges!
Let's start new positive habits! 




Wishing you all the best in your parenting!

Enjoy!

Nicole



No comments:

Post a Comment