Thursday, May 15, 2014

Breakfast Sandwiches

Zach wakes up pretty early to go to work, so most of the time he just wants to grab breakfast and go. I want to make sure he's not eating a bowl of cereal every morning, or skipping a meal altogether. My solution was making breakfast sandwiches ahead of time so he can pull one out of the fridge, heat it up really quick, and go.
I am not claiming to have made this recipe up, I obviously pulled inspiration from a well-known fast food joint. But I am going to suggest this is a more budget and health friendly recipe than stopping at a drive-thru.



First, I preheated the oven to 350F.
Next, I cut my english muffins in half (counting them as I did this...today I had 8).

Then I sprayed eight of the cups in my muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and cracked in my eggs, then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. When the oven was preheated I stuck the eggs in for 23 minutes. I like the yoke hard, but don't like overcooked eggs.

Today I used breakfast patties (which happen to come in a pack of eight..YAY!), but sometimes I'll use bacon, or both. I put the patties in a pan on medium heat and fried them up.

As the eggs and meat were cooking I sliced eight pieces of cheddar cheese and placed them on the cut muffins.
Once the meat and eggs were done I stacked them on the cheese and plastic wrapped each of those sandwiches individually.

I put them in the fridge and they usually last a week and a half or so.

Whenever you're ready to eat a sandwich: we take off the saran wrap, pull it apart (usually egg on one side, meat and cheese on other), stick the halves in the oven and turn it on to 350F. Once the oven is preheated your sandwich is perfectly cooked. :) I eat mine plain, Zach adds yellow mustard.
Enjoy!

Were you wondering what Penelope was doing while I made these?
I'm just kidding. For the most part she was completely satisfied eating her apple in the mesh thing.
*Those mesh things are amazing!! I purchased two at Target for around $5 when they were on sale and I used my Target Red Card for an extra 5% off!**


No comments:

Post a Comment