Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Joy, oh My Joy!

The day I was born our pastors wife came to the hospital. Marie brought her 4 month old daughter, Melody Joy, with her. That is why Melody and I say that we've been best friends since the day I was born. We grew up having many play dates & sleepovers. As teenagers we would have dessert and coffee dates. As we've become young adults Melody moved across the country with her husband. But we continue to have "friend dates," it just consists of talking on the phone even though I am NOT a phone talker.
When we were young we fantasized what life would be like when we got older. We always thought we would marry brothers or best friends. We would live next door to each other. Our kids would be around the same age and would grow up to be best friends. We always joked we would be in the nursing home together taking care of each other, outliving our husbands! [Sorry Zach & Spencer ;)] Life hasn't really turned out how we had so eagerly hoped, but distance cannot diminish this friendship.
Melody came up to visit us in hopes she would be here for Penelope's birth. Unfortunately she left five days too soon, so they've never met.
I have two middle names. My first middle name is Marie, after Melody's mom. When I found out I was pregnant I told Zach that if we had a girl her middle name would be Joy after Mel, and so that is the story of how Penelope's middle name came about. =)
I used to call Mel "My Joy." Now I find myself calling Penny that. It couldn't be more fitting for these two females. Seriously, they both bring so much JOY to my life! 
You know when one of your friends gets a great job, or travels somewhere awesome, has a cuter house, or a nicer/newer car and you're just so jealous. I honestly don't feel that with Melody. I'm always just SO happy for her. She has been blessed with many great things, but she's not boastful about any of it. She also has been dealt many difficult times but she doesn't let those moments define her life. And she definitely doesn't complain; if she tells you about a hardship she speaks of it in such a way that you don't feel any negativity. She truly oozes joy!

Melody is my forever friend. She will always be my best friend. She will always be My Joy.
Playing dollies & Barbies was our favorite!

Yeah, we always held hands!

On of the many Barbie birthday parties...I believe this was Melody's.

Freshman year we had tons of school spirit! Go Bulldogs!

Graduation Day - June 2007!

Multiple times we would show up wearing the same color schemes...not on purpose!

One of our many coffee & dessert dates!
At my wedding shower.
I was in Seattle for a concert and Mel was flying out of there the same day.
She was going to Africa. Little did she know she would meet her husband while there.



The day Melody got back from Africa!!
That is NOT a winter tan from MT! ;-)

The night of Melody's rehearsal dinner.
Melody's wedding day...such a gorgeous bride!
Just six days before I gave birth. The last time we've seen each other in person.
I need to take Penelope and visit Mel in Tennessee!



I have a thousand pictures of us. Most are at my parents house where I don't have access. It is so fun to look back and see how much we've grown and changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment