Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Date Your Spouse!

I am sad, embarrassed, ashamed even to say Zach and I quit dating.
Right before I found out I was pregnant we were in a pretty low point of our relationship.
For whatever reason pregnancy completely mellowed me out and we didn't fight once.
We spent some good quality time together before we became a family of three.
Now Penelope is ten months old and we've only gone on two dates since she's been born.
Two dates in the past ten months!
That is unacceptable.
I can blame him and he can blame me.
We're both at fault.
Our New Year's resolution for 2014 was to date more, and to have more gatherings with friends.
Well, we have definitely hung out with friends more, but we have neglected us.

When you have kids it's easy to turn your focus on raising them. 
It's easy to make excuses.
What most of us don't realize is how important it is to see your parents have a healthy relationship.
Setting a healthy example of a good marriage is priceless for our children.  

It is so easy to get into a negative routine with your spouse/family.
We start to do the same monotonous things day after day.
We may be in the same room, but we're definitely not spending time together.

Half of all marriages in the US end in divorce.
That makes my jaw drop.
What are we doing wrong?!

We need to start fighting for our marriages.
We need to make them worth fighting for.
We need to set high standards for our children.
We need to work together and not against each other.
As friends/family we need to positively encourage each others marriages.

I need to work on being fully present.
I need to work on being spontaneous.
I need to work on a positive attitude/outlook.
I need to work on keeping Christ at the center of our marriage. [The center of my life, really.]

Two fellow bloggers both wrote posts recently that really spoke to me ::
Crystal just wrote about turning our negatives into praise. 
Katie wrote about spontaneity.


When I think about dating I think about these extravagant, expensive dates.
I get really bummed thinking, "we don't have money to date each other."
That is SUCH a lie!
God has placed us in such a time as this.
I'm staying home & raising our little love. This may not bring in an income, but it's a priceless time for us that I don't want to trade for any job.
Zach is working his bum off to support our family.
We are slowly learning how to live below our means.
Going on a date does not have to change our budget for the month.
You can date in the confines of your own home.
Once the little one(s) is(are) asleep the options are endless.
I'm always finding cheap/inexpensive date ideas on Pinterest.

I think it is important to actually go out though, too.

Dressing up makes woman feel like something special.
Complimenting your spouse and noticing the effort they made is so important.
Flaunting your spouse in public is a really good thing.
Obviously there is a point of innapropriate, in which you may hear, "get a room."
But...
Holding hands. Guys - putting your hand on the small of our backs. Short, tender kisses. 
Just showing the world that they're yours.
It makes you both feel lucky to have the other.
And you are lucky.
You are so lucky to have your significant other.

Lets make time to date our spouse this week.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment